Scholarships are awarded by the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign chapter and applications are available in January and must be submitted in February. Each year, the chapter awards 5-10 scholarships ranging from $500 to $1,500. In addition to receiving the chapter scholarships, 3-5 outstanding applications will be forward to compete for National Scholarships ranging from $1,000 to $10,000. Winners of the National Scholarship will be featured in the Phi Eta Sigma FORUM magazine the following year.
Applicants must be members of Phi Eta Sigma. Applications are reviewed by a scholarship committee, made up mostly of members who have no contact or relation with Phi Eta Sigma Executive Board Members. All applicants who are qualified for a scholarship are awarded with a monetary sum determined by the scholarship committee based on the following criteria:
- High scholastic record with a minimum of 3.5 cumulative GPA
- Participation in local Phi Eta Sigma chapter activities
- Campus-wide academic recognition, awards, and leadership roles
- Evidence of creative ability (What makes you unique?)
- Participation in on/off-campus service and leadership groups
- Potential for success in chosen field
- Work experience
- Those who wish to apply for a scholarship must be continuing their education next semester (undergraduate or 1st year of graduate school)
To complete the chapter scholarship application, please fill out this form. This form is due February 19th, 2016 before midnight.
To be eligible for the national scholarships all you have to do is fill out the local application! We will contact you after review if you fit the criteria for the national level.